Here is a list of useful unix commands or code parts. Who does not know it? You have a problem and looking for a solution where you find at stack overflow or similar pages? Here I collect all the commands that I have encountered over time or whose switch I simply can not remember (or want).
- How do I find all files containing specific text?
grep -rnw '/path/to/somewhere/' -e 'pattern'
- How i change the default file permissions (mask that controls file permissions)
- Untar (unzip) file
tar -zxvf archive.tar.gz
- Copy files via rsync from one host to another
rsync -av [USER@]HOST[:PORT]/SOURCE [USER@]HOST[:PORT]/DEST
- nslookup missing? Install dig
sudo apt-get install dnsutils
- find without “Permission denied”
find / -name 'filename.ext' 2>&1 | grep -v "Permission denied"
- flush dns cache
sudo systemd-resolve --flush-caches
- show open ports
- Directory size
du -sh /var du -shc /var/* du -h --max-depth=1 /var du -sh /var/lib/docker/containers/*/*.log
- Search multiple PDF files for a “needle”
pdfgrep -i needle haystack*.pdf
- Show hidden files with ls
- Redirect STDOUT and STDERR to a file
nice-command > out.txt 2>&1
- Installs your SSH public key to a remote host
- A command-line system information tool
- Show disk usage, folder size, items per folder, find big directorys, … with ncdu